Question from readers:
What are some ways to make your computer run faster?
No matter how long you have had your computer, nor your preferred brand used, all computers and laptops start to slow down on speed at some point. So versus simply canning your PC or selling it online, what are some simple ways to make your computer run faster?
What I will do in this brief article is cover at least 5 quick & inexpensive simple ways to make your computer run faster in as little as 1 hour!
Now to apply these tips, you don’t have to worry about being be tech or a computer geek. You simply need to be willing to learn to do some simple things that can make a world of difference.
- Download a antivirus or PC tool to cleanup your computer. By not having a good antivirus or PC cleanup tool installed on your computer could be the biggest mistake you every make. It is proven that unprotected computers are more likely to be exposed to viruses and other material such as malware that could compromise your computer’s files and memory. With a good antivirus installed, your computer will perform daily checks to clean your computer and run faster.
- Learn how to create zip files to better organize your files and documents. Just like a closet full of clothes, the closet looks better and can be accessed if everything is organized and put in its place. When you create zip files, it is almost as if you are making your files/documents smaller, but better accessed via 1 file versus from several different ones that just absorb more space and memory and slow your computer down.
- Review installed programs that you have not used in more than 6 months. This will help you to reevaluate if you really need certain programs or not. Programs not being used just do 1 thing ad that is take up space. For Windows, you can do this by going to your Start Menu, then Settings, then to the Control Panel and finally clicking on Add or Remove Programs link. Look under your programs installed on your computer. Once the list of programs finishes populating, it will provide you the dates of the last time you used each program and if it rare, often or never used.
- Buy a USB flash drive to transfer any videos, media, pictures, etc not being used. You can buy them for cheap in places like Walmart, Staples, Office Max and just about any department store. Some may range anywhere from $5 to $30 depending on the amount of Gigabytes (GB) you want for storage. You can get them with 32GB or even as much as 64GB, you decide. Amazon has far more brands and designs to chose from and the best deals that I seen on USB flash drives here. I had to do this with lots of videos that I made and pictures taken from old trips. By freeing up all that memory, my computer ran faster. Buy making this simple inexpensive USB purchase this will free up your computer’s memory.
- Stay on top of any computer updates with your software. Every so often, depending on what type of system your computer runs, you may need to perform updates to Microsoft, Internet Explorer, or even Chrome. By installing the latest software provided by your system, this also helps your computer to run faster.
Today we have discussed only 5 simple ways to make your computer run faster.
What are some other simple ways to make your computer run faster have you implemented recently? We would love to hear your thoughts below.